Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Heads or Tails - 3 Things in 2008

This week's theme/prompt is:
TAILS - "Three Things"
Tell three things you learned in 2008

For some reason I'm having the hardest time thinking of what I want to say. I've been struggling with Heads or Tails today, even though it should have been pretty simple. The prompt for the day was, 3 things you learned in 2008. It was an entire year - you'd think I'd have learned a thing or two, or even three. So why can't I come up with a simple list? No, I'm trying to come up with some earth-shattering intense things I learned. Maybe I need to learn not to over think things. And maybe I should just be thankful nothing is all that earth-shattering and intense.

On that note, I learned (this is #1) that my daughter, Beth had something wrong with her heart. That could've been really serious. And scary. Yes, it was a little scary, for all of us - especially Beth. But, she had the procedure last week. It went really well, and she's back to her normal life. The bruises haven't faded yet, but they're going. Thankfully, it was (relatively) easy to correct, and there's only a 3% chance it's not completely and totally fixed. That means 97% that she will never have to worry about that again.

Also in 2008, I learned (this is #2) - well, I keep starting that sentence, "I learned _________." But then I stop and think, but I already knew that. I'm not saying that I already knew it all. Maybe it's that some things I just have to learn over and over before I actually get it? Or maybe once I figure something out it seems so obvious I can't believe I didn't know it before?

Somewhere along the line I learned (this is #3) that I better write stuff down, or post it to my blog, in order to remember. I bet if I took the time to read through all my entries for 2008, all 851 of them, I would have found it a whole lot easier to come up with three things I learned in 2008. I ought to start a new label for my blog - 'something I learned' - and try to use it on a regular basis. That way I'll be good and ready for next year's '3 things you learned' - or whatever number Barb comes up with!

I know it's late, but it is still Tuesday. I learned the days of the week in some previous year, though, so I couldn't use that for this post. Heads or Tails is a fun weekly meme hosted by Skittles, and it's not too late for you to join in, too.


  1. If I had stopped to think if I already learned the things I posted, I would have had a rough time too. I guess something finally hit me this year.

  2. It seems like I keep re-learning some of the things I already learned. What's with that?
    I turn my blogs into e-books at the end of each year and find it a fun experience to re-see where things were... Nice post!

  3. So glad to hear that Beth's surgery was a success. I enjoyed your post I think making a category for things you learn is a great idea

  4. I'm glad Beth is doing so well now. That must have been extremely scary for a parent.

  5. You know.. I thought it would be an easy them, too. Until I sat down and tried to post my own. Maybe we both overthink things?

    I'm so glad Beth's heart problem was taken care of. A scary time for you all!!!

  6. I love #3. My blog has become my online journal, where I can answer the question, "Hey, when did I ..."

    Best of luck to young Beth and your whole family.


I love your comments! Keep them coming.