Friday, August 12, 2011


Trojan HorseImage by BFS Man via Flickr
Yesterday, every time I tried to load my blog, I got a warning from avast Web Shield that it had blocked a Trojan Horse.  Glad to know I'm safe, but really?  It's my own page.  I wouldn't know the first thing about creating, uploading, embedding, or whatever you do to place a Trojan on a page.  And I certainly wouldn't want to!  Or understand why anyone else would do something like that either.

So, I spent way too much time trying to figure out what was causing the problem and finally figured out that it's a script in the footer of my template - a script that has always been there, and Avast never cared before.  I removed it, and the warning went away - but the template didn't show up properly.  I put it back, and the warning came back.  I even checked the page where I originally downloaded the template - Wooden Fence template - and got the same warning when I tried to view the preview.  So, nothing has changed.  Avast just suddenly thinks it's a problem.  I got an email from my dad and a facebook note from my brother this morning that it's doing the same thing for them.

I added my page to the exceptions list, so at least I can load it now, but I'm thinking it's about time to find a new template.  It's about time anyway, but this just gives me an excuse.  I spent some time yesterday looking for a new template I like, and I found a couple.  They will, of course, need some tweaking to make me happy, so hopefully I can find some time - between cooking, cleaning, going through the mail and throwing out all the pre-approved reward cards applications, and just generally trying to get this place straightened up. 
Re-designing the blog sounds like so much more fun...

Enhanced by Zemanta